Nichol Associates

Nichol Associates

Head Office: 0191 438 5432 Training Centre: 0191 4385432

Two firms fined for failing to check for asbestos in basement conversion

Two family run companies have appeared in court after the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) carried out an unannounced visit on a basement conversion and found that neither firm had undertaken an asbestos survey.

Two firms fined for failing to check for asbestos in basement conversion

Hatters Hostel, Newton Street. Image credit: © Manchester Evening News

Manchester Crown Court heard last week that Hatters Taverns had appointed its sister company Hatters Hostels as the main contractor for the refurbishment, which was planned underneath a hostel at 50 Newton Street, Manchester.

The work involved the refurbishment of the basement, a former restaurant unit, as a bar.

When the HSE arrived unannounced to inspect the work, inspectors discovered that an asbestos survey had not been carried out before the tradesmen had started stripping out the space.

According to a report in the Manchester Evening News work had already been underway for eight months and had involved workers from six firms. While no asbestos had been found on the three walls which had been renovated at the time of the HSE inspection, it was impossible to determine whether any had been present because the refurbishment work had removed any potential evidence.

However, the HSE did find asbestos in the form of fire-retardant textured paint in a section that had yet to be stripped out.

The Manchester Evening News also reported that the firm had mistakenly believed that a subcontractor that was in charge of the project for the first five weeks had carried out the survey.

Hatters Taverns of 50 Newton Street, Manchester pleaded guilty to breaching reg 4(3) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations (CAR) 2012 and was fined £10,000.

Hatters Hostels of 56-60 Mount Pleasant, Liverpool pleaded guilty to breaching reg 5(a) of CAR 2012 and was fined £24,000. It was also ordered to pay the combined costs for both defendants of £10,232. The HSE has predicted that around 2,500 people a year will die from diseases caused by asbestos exposure until 2020 before annual numbers begin to decline. Asbestos-related diseases are currently untreatable and preventing future cases remains a priority.

HSE inspector Matt Greenly said: “The requirement to have a suitable asbestos survey is clear and well known throughout the construction industry. Only by knowing if asbestos is present in any building before works commence can a contractor ensure that people working on site are not exposed to these deadly fibres.”

Nick Warburton is deputy editor of IOSH Magazine 

Other News

Factory Worker Wins Compensation Battle Against Rolls Royce

A former Rolls Royce factory worker has been compensated after being diagnosed with terminal asbestos-related cancer.   Mr Gerald MacEwan, who now resides in Gateshead, was exposed to asbestos dust whilst working at the Rolls Royce production facility in Hillington, Scotland, in 1964.   Whilst Mr MacEwan was working at the facility it underwent routine […]

More

Welsh local authorities told to report on asbestos in schools

The unexpected closure last Friday of a school in Caerphilly, owing to worries about asbestos levels, has prompted the Wales Education minister to seek confirmation from all local authorities in the principality that they are managing asbestos in schools in accordance with their legal duties. Cwmcarn High School, which caters for more than 900 pupils, […]

More

IOSH wants H&S framework simplified and strengthened

The UK’s health and safety legal framework is strong and standards must not be weakened but more has to be done to help businesses comply, IOSH has warned. The comments were delivered as part of a submission to the HSE, which is compiling a report for the Government on the UK’s implementation of European occupational […]

More

Newsletter sign up