Nichol Associates

Nichol Associates

Head Office: 0191 438 5432 Training Centre: 0191 4385432

Headteacher Dies After Being Exposed To Asbestos At Schools

A recent inquest has heard how a headteacher from Cirencester died because he was often subject to asbestos exposure at the schools where he worked during his career.

David MacDonald, who formally lead Amberley Ridge School in Stroud, died on 2 July 2012, Gloucester Coroner’s Court heard.

After Mr MacDonald was diagnosed with mesothelioma in August 2011, he made a statement outlining his career and the places where he came into contact with the deadly material.

Amberley Ridge, Chiltern Gate School at High Wycombe and Warnham Court School in West Sussex were all sites where Mr MacDonald had worked.

The father-of-three had first come into contact with asbestos while working at Warnham Court School where pipes lagged with asbestos were damaged when work was carried out on a boiler.

Mr MacDonald then became deputy head of Chiltern Gate School, which also contained asbestos, before being appointed headteacher of Amberley Ridge.

Whilst he was working at Amberley Ridge, Mr MacDonald found and reported asbestos in the boiler room and also recalls being covered head-to-toe in asbestos dust when it was removed.

Specialist Consultant Dr Robin Rudd was present at the inquest and said that mesothelioma without asbestos exposure was one case in a million but he said Mr MacDonald’s occupational history confirmed his exposure.

He said: “Each of his employments increased the risk that he would develop it.”

A post mortem carried out on Mr MacDonald found a very low level of asbestos fibres in his lungs.

Coroner Dr Preti Joshi said such low levels could occur in those exposed to asbestos many years before death and still be linked to the cause of death.

Asbestos Insure 2013

Other News

Nichol Associates MD featured in Building Engineer

Dave Nichol, Managing Director of asbestos specialists Nichol Associates talks to Building Engineer about the importance of asbestos training. Read the article here.

More

Firm made no effort to obtain asbestos surveys

A plumbing company failed to take steps to prevent two workers being exposed to asbestos fibres during a refurbishment project at a number of flats in Aberystwyth. Superior Plumbing Installations Ltd was the principal contractor for the refurbishment of the flats in tower blocks in the Penparcau area of the town between November 2010 and […]

More

Goodyear Tyres™ Insurer Not Honoring Contract In Asbestos Claims

Tyre giant, Goodyear, has faced tens of thousands of asbestos management lawsuits during its long and successful history and has paid out millions in defense and indemnity costs for their negligence. However, the firm now says, their insurer has concluded that it will no longer pay defense and indemnity costs for any future asbestos-related claims. […]

More

Newsletter sign up