Nichol Associates

Nichol Associates

Head Office: 0191 438 5432 Training Centre: 0191 4385432

School caretaker disabled in fall days before retirement

A caretaker has been left with life-changing injuries after he fell four metres through a roof at a school in Bradford five days before his retirement.

David O’Hanlon, 62, had worked at Beckfoot School in Bingley for eight years but decided to take early retirement when the site was closed and replaced by a new facility. He agreed to stay on to supervise the clearance of the old building and to ensure all classrooms were empty.¨On 22 June last year, he was putting a new light bulb in a roof void of the old building so he could empty it safely before demolition. He stepped on to an un-boarded area of the ceiling, which gave way beneath him, and he fell four metres to the hall below.

He suffered a fractured hip and a broken heel. He required three screws to be inserted in his hip and is likely to need a hip replacement and further surgery on his heel to add plates and screws. Doctors have advised him that he will suffer from severe arthritis and will not regain full mobility.

The HSE investigated the incident and found Bradford Council, which owned the school, had failed to assess the risks inside the building during the clearing operation. Inspector Morag Irwin said: “Bradford Council has a duty to fully assess the risks in a building and ensure its employees are safe as they go about their day-to-day duties. That may mean providing necessary information or training when necessary ““ in this case, relating to working at heights and risk assessment.

“Given that the main purpose was to clear out rubbish before demolition, the sensible decision would have been to leave well alone in the roof void and let the demolition go ahead regardless.”

Bradford Council appeared at Bradford Magistrates’ Court on 17 October and pleaded guilty to breaching s2(1) of the HSWA 1974. It was fined £15,000 and ordered to pay £5667 in costs.

After the hearing, inspector Irwin added: “This incident was completely avoidable and has essentially dashed Mr O’Hanlon’s hopes and expectations for a healthy retirement.”

Other News

School’s out for Asbestos?

As news of asbestos present in schools receives greater public attention, there have been calls to close schools while the substance is removed. While these concerns are understandable, as the MD of an asbestos training firm, I would urge people not to panic. I would never advocate putting our heads in the sand, as we […]

More

Ceiling contractor used hotchpotch scaffold tower

A worker suffered a multitude of injuries, including a brain haemorrhage, when he fell two metres from an unprotected scaffold tower. The 43-year-old man, who has asked not to be named, was working for CME Ceilings Ltd when the incident took place on 18 January last year. The company had been contracted to install a […]

More

£750,000 fine for ‘reckless’ asbestos failure

Some 200 workers were put at risk to the exposure of asbestos during the early demolition phase of a project, resulting in a £750,000 fine for a construction firm. The HSE carried out two investigations of working practices at a site in 2013 and 2014 while Barroerock Construction Limited were converting a former nine storey […]

More

Newsletter sign up